users@jaxb.java.net

Re: anyURI and java.net.URL

From: Franklin, Brian <brian.franklin_at_ciraden.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 17:10:21 -0400

Although the repercussions of this approach haven't been fully explored yet,
when working on the Singularity System (plug:
<http://singularity-sys.sourceforge.net/>
http://singularity-sys.sourceforge.net/ and
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/singularity-sys/>
http://sourceforge.net/projects/singularity-sys/ ), we created our own
datatypes that map to URI and URL. Here is an excerpt from the schema:

Note that the default namespace is the XMLSchema namespace, while "this" is
the namespace prefix for the targetNamespace of this schema.

-- begin excerpt --

<simpleType name="URI">
    <annotation>
        <appinfo>
            <jaxb:javaType name="java.net.URI" parseMethod="new"
printMethod="toString" />
        </appinfo>
    </annotation>
    <restriction base="anyURI">
    </restriction>
</simpleType>

<simpleType name="URL">
    <annotation>
        <appinfo>
            <jaxb:javaType name="java.net.URL" parseMethod="new"
printMethod="toString" />
        </appinfo>
    </annotation>
    <restriction base="this:URI">
    </restriction>
</simpleType>

-- end excerpt --

There are a few reasons why we took this approach, but let me know if you
have any opinions (positive or negative), or what your experiences are with
any different approaches.

Brian Franklin