users@jaxb.java.net

Re: Line-numbers of already parsed elements

From: Ryan Shoemaker - JavaSoft East <Ryan.Shoemaker_at_sun.com>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 13:58:56 -0400

Thomas Behrends wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there any practical way to find out the line-number of a already
> parsed and bound element? Some of my validations can be only be
> performed AFTER the complete document is parsed and my error-messages
> can't supply a line-number.

No, once you unmarshal the document into a Java content tree in memory,
the RI forgets all of the original location info from the xml source.
ValidationEvents generated off of the content tree will have location
information relative to the tree. It really can't tie back to the
original document because you may have added totally new elements that
didn't exist when the document was unmarshalled.

--Ryan