users@jaxb.java.net

Re: Discovered difference between JAXB 1.0 and beta

From: Kohsuke Kawaguchi <Kohsuke.Kawaguchi_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 08:25:56 -0700

Les Hazlewood <les_at_hazlewood.com> wrote:
> In JAXB beta, I could do:
> Car car = garage.getCar();
>
> Now, I can't do that....
>
> Instead, with JAXB 1.0 in the JWSDP, I have to do:
>
> CarType car = garage.getCar();
>
> I HATE this. Its incredibly unintuitive. Conceptually, I want to operate
> on a CAR, not on a CarType.

Well, I felt in the same way before. But the spec is clear on this, and
therefore as an implementor I have no choice but to follow the spec.

I think the rationale is that making it a CarType allows you to cut &
paste that object into other places where a CarType is expected.

And since Car is just extending a CarType without adding any significant
method, I'm not so sure if it causes real pain in reality.

But your input is very welcome. There might be even somethng we can do.

regards,
--
Kohsuke KAWAGUCHI                  408-276-7063 (x17063)