users@jaxb.java.net

Re: Specified conversion customization is not used.

From: Dennis Sosnoski <dms_at_sosnoski.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 14:35:27 -0700

This very closed approach to the reference implementation seems to be
creating a lot of problems. I think it'd make a lot more sense to (1)
provide public beta builds rather than just dumping out code that's only
been tested internally to Sun, and (2) release JAXB independent of the
Web services pack, with which it currently has only a tenuous connection
at best.

We've seen *many* bugs in the FCS code that would have been caught in a
release candidate build after the original beta. Hopefully there isn't
as much new code going into the next version, but a beta or release
candidate build would really help improve the quality.

Tying JAXB to JWSDP seems like some sort of marketing-driven issue.
Clumping together a bunch of separate XML and servlet related
technologies and calling them a "Web Services Development Pack" doesn't
really help developers much, though. JAXB would be much better off if
released as a separate API, though it could still be included in the
JWSDP bundle.

  - Dennis