users@jaxb.java.net

Xerces NullPointerException during unmarshall

From: Marcus Walls <marcus.walls_at_ASPECTIVE.COM>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 09:33:23 -0700

This is probably a bit of a long shot, but I'm desperate so I'm
going to try anyway!

I have recently deployed code on WebSphere 3.5.4 which performs
a basic unmarshall (without validation) of some XML that conforms
to a simple schema.

The unmarshall operation fails with the stack-trace below.

However, I have the same code working within a different WebSphere
instance, with identical class paths and JARs, with the same
file to unmarshall and it works fine.

I've glanced at the Xerces source code but it doesn't help me.

Has anybody seen this before, or have a clue what could cause it?

Thanks

Marcus

java.lang.NullPointerException
 at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLEntityManager$RewindableInputStream.read(XMLEntityManager.java:3647)
 at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLEntityManager.startEntity(XMLEntityManager.java:892)
 at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLEntityManager.startDocumentEntity(XMLEntityManager.java:807)
 at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl.setInputSource(XMLDocumentScannerImpl.java:277)
 at org.apache.xerces.parsers.DTDConfiguration.parse(DTDConfiguration.java:503)
 at org.apache.xerces.parsers.DTDConfiguration.parse(DTDConfiguration.java:585)
 at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:152)
 at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(AbstractSAXParser.java:1142)
 at com.sun.xml.bind.unmarshaller.UnmarshallerImpl.unmarshal(UnmarshallerImpl.java:130)
 at javax.xml.bind.helpers.AbstractUnmarshallerImpl.unmarshal(AbstractUnmarshallerImpl.java:139)
 at javax.xml.bind.helpers.AbstractUnmarshallerImpl.unmarshal(AbstractUnmarshallerImpl.java:144)
 at javax.xml.bind.helpers.AbstractUnmarshallerImpl.unmarshal(AbstractUnmarshallerImpl.java:153)