users@jaxb.java.net

Opening the JAXB-INTEREST archives to non-subscribers

From: Ryan Shoemaker - JavaSoft East <Ryan.Shoemaker_at_sun.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 17:59:53 -0500

Hi,

We currently have the JAXB-INTEREST list configured to only allow posting and
archive searching privileges for subscribers only. The reason for this is to
prevent people from being able to send spam to the list. In fact, the only
person that sees attempted spam on the list is me, since I'm the registered
owner. I would strongly recommend that we continue to restrict posting
privileges to subscribers only in order to prevent spam and maintain an
excellent signal to noise ratio. However, we have received a few requests to
open the archives to non-subscribers. It is possible to configure the list
such that anyone can view the archives, but only subscribers can post. My
concern is that this would allow people to scrape e-mail addresses out of
postings in the archive and spam subscribers directly. I didn't want to make
this change without asking for feedback from people on the list. There are
some other active interest lists @java.sun.com that have open archives, but closed
postings (ejb-interest_at_java.sun.com for example), so it certainly seems like a
reasonable change to make.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts on this issue.

Thanks,

--Ryan