users@jaxb.java.net

Re: NotSerializable

From: Joe Fialli <joseph.fialli_at_sun.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 09:01:29 -0500

Jason Tang wrote:
> Hi I got a NotSerializable exception when writing the generated JaxB classes to an object output stream. I got a run time exception as...
>
> java.io.NotSerializableException: ubc.jem.config.impl.JemImpl
> at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.outputObject(ObjectOutputStream.java:1148)
> at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject(ObjectOutputStream.java:366)
>
> Is it possible that I can customize the implementing classes to implement java.io.Serializable so they can passed remotely?

Serialization is not supported by the JAXB specification at all.

The final release of the JAXB reference implementation for v1.0 has implemented a
customization extension where Serialization will be able to be enabled in the final release.
(Based on beta feedback, this feature was added.)

Serialization is not specified in the specification since JAXB implementations will not
be able to interchange serialization streams.

-Joe Fialli, Sun Microsystems