users@jax-ws.java.net

Fwd: Re[2]: Problem with string arrays containing nulls

From: Egor Samarkhanov <slash_at_actimind.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 17:25:45 +0300

Hi !

Guys, could you please comment on this issue with
java type converters (described below)?

This is a forwarded message
From: Egor Samarkhanov <slash_at_actimind.com>
To: Vivek Pandey <users_at_jax-ws.dev.java.net>
Date: Thursday, February 8, 2007, 4:30:25 PM
Subject: Problem with string arrays containing nulls

Hello !

Thanks for the hint about wrapper bean. I've created the following
wrapper:

@XmlAccessorType(value=XmlAccessType.FIELD)
public class StringArrayWrapper
{
    @XmlElement(nillable=true)
    private String[] array;

    public StringArrayWrapper( String[] array ) {
        this.array = array;
    }

    public StringArrayWrapper() {
    }

    public String[] getArray() {
        return array;
    }

    public void setArray( String[] array ) {
        this.array = array;
    }
}

changed the services's method signature to

@WebMethod()
public StringArrayWrapper testStringArray( StringArrayWrapper w )

and got the expected result. Moreover, the WCF's service method
signature is still

string[] testStringArray(string[] arg0)

Great! But then I decided to implement the same using Java Type Adapters
(to keep using String[] on Java side).
I wrote the simple adapter:

public class AdapterStringArrayToBean extends XmlAdapter<StringArrayWrapper, String[]>
{
    public String[] unmarshal( StringArrayWrapper wrapper ) throws Exception
    {
        if( wrapper == null )
          return null;
        return wrapper.getArray();
    }

    public StringArrayWrapper marshal( String[] s ) throws Exception
    {
        return new StringArrayWrapper( s );
    }
}

and then changed the service's method signature like this:

@WebMethod()
public @XmlJavaTypeAdapter(type=String[].class, value=AdapterStringArrayToBean.class) String[] testStringArray( @XmlJavaTypeAdapter(type=String[].class, value=AdapterStringArrayToBean.class) String[] s )

After the deployment I got the following method signature in WCF:

public stringArrayWrapper[] testStringArray(stringArrayWrapper[] arg0)

Well, I didn't expect array of wrappers. I thought it should be just the
wrapper. I checked the WSDL and indeed, maxOccurs="unbounded" is set for
the arg0 element (line 3):

<xs:complexType name="testStringArray">
  <xs:sequence>
    <xs:element name="arg0" type="tns:stringArrayWrapper" maxOccurs="unbounded" minOccurs="0" />
  </xs:sequence>
</xs:complexType>
<xs:complexType name="stringArrayWrapper">
  <xs:sequence>
    <xs:element name="array" type="xs:string" nillable="true" maxOccurs="unbounded" minOccurs="0" />
  </xs:sequence>
</xs:complexType>

I guess my adapter is wrong. How can I write the adapter correctly for
this case?

Thanks for your help,

Egor.