users@jax-ws.java.net

Re: JAX-WS General usage questions

From: Doug Kohlert <Doug.Kohlert_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 10:31:23 -0800

Olano, Ever wrote:

> Hello. I am writing a sample client using JAX-WS 2.0 that will consume
> our own web service. With the help of a couple of people on the Sun
> forums, I was able to get as far as sending a request and getting a
> fault (I have yet to sign my request as required by our web service).
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1. Is there a way to set the timeout (for waiting for the
> response)? How?

Yes, there is a new property on BindingProvider that you can use to set
the timeout, the value is an Integer specified in
milliseconds
//Dispatch
dispatch.getRequestContext().put("com.sun.xml.ws.request.timeout", new
Integer(5000));
//proxy
(
(BindingProvider)proxy).getRequestContext().put("com.sun.xml.ws.request.timeout",
new Integer(5000));

> 1.
>

> 2. When I get a WebServiceException (that is not a
> SOAPFaultException), is there a way to tell when (i.e. which
> stage) the exception occurred, specifically, whether or not the
> exception occurred while waiting for the reply (e.g. timeout)?
> Or do I just call the exception’s getCause() method and infer
> from the type of exception that it returns.

No

> 2.
>

> 3. Is the Service-derived class generated by wsimport thread-safe?
> Can I use just a single instance and call its getPort*() method
> for each request? (I’m guessing yes.)

Yes

> 4. What about each stub/port object? Is it thread-safe? (I’m
> guessing no.)

Yes

--
 - Doug