dev@jax-ws.java.net

Major on-line production issue

From: LeRoy Hall <leroy_e_hall_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 17:45:23 -0800 (PST)

Hello all,

I've got a major production issue that I'm desperately hoping someone out there can help with.  We use JAX-WS clients to connect with our vendors to send OTA (open travel alliance) XML messages.  These clients are running as stand-alone java applications (no application servers involved) We have one vendor in particular that we are sending well over a million messages a day, and we recently started taking the following exceptions on 1% of our messages:

com.sun.xml.ws.client.ClientTransportException: HTTP transport error: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: connect timed out

We had the connection timeout set to 1 second, and I increased it to 2 seconds which had no effect.  We also had network engineers on both sides, and in between (Verizon) looking into this and found nothing from a network point of view that would be causing this.

Our server engineers checked out the servers NIC cards and no problems there.  I even loaded the clients onto two new servers and it still continues to take these exceptions.

We did discover that the socket connections are not remaining persistent.  JAX-WS is opening and closing a connection for every message.  We are re-using the JAX-WS proxy objects (port type objects) returned from the JAX-WS service objects generated by wsimport, so I am unsure why it is behaving this way, and am not finding much help concerning this issue on the internet.

We are using JAX-WS RI 2.1.3-b02- running on windows servers.  CPU utilization is very low (never higher than 25%) and memory is fine.

Any help you could provide would be fantastic.

Thanks,

LeRoy