dev@jax-ws.java.net

Re: Stream-based attachment decoding

From: Kohsuke Kawaguchi <kohsuke.kawaguchi_at_sun.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 14:44:00 -0800

Paul Sandoz wrote:
>> +1. As long as we can make sure that such improvement can be done (as a
>> > design validation), we don't have to do all the hard work right away.
>> >

> I think it is possible.

I think so, too.

> Should Encoder/Decoder implementations be stateless? If not i can
> improve on the current StreamSOAPDecoder implementation.

They need not be. I'll elaborate javadoc that they aren't re-entrant. So
you can use instance variables to keep stuff around for better object reuse.

> +1 I want to move all the utility methods on XMLStreamReaderUtil to the
> new interface.

Do we really? I agree that needing to call static helper method on
XMLStreamReaderUtil sucks, but would we really want to move them on
XMLStreamReaderEx?

For one thing, that means now such utility methods would cost one
virtual method invocation. Plus we have to wrap every XMLStreamReader by
XMLStreamReaderEx.

If this were to be done when Zephyr implements XMLStreamReaderEx, that
would be a whole different story, though...

--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi