users@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jax-rs-spec users] Re: Hypermedia API

From: Markus KARG <markus_at_headcrashing.eu>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 15:34:25 +0100

>> Regarding your summary, you missed what my actual proposal is about: I
>> do _not_ propose that any JAX-RS implementation comes with "MyMBW /
MyMBR"
>> pre-bundled or that the existing XML-MBW shall get replaced or enhanced.
> OK, I had missed that yes.

No problem. :-)

>> What I ask for _solely_ is that JAX-RS 2.1 support application
>> programmers and MBW vendors by defining...
>> (A) ...the "@StructuralLink" annotation as a model-independent and
>> MBW-independent way to identify structural links,
>> (B) ...the methods "lookupLink" and "lookupObject" to allow MBWs /
>> MBRs to be able to do the replacements without knowledge of the actual
>> application / resource hierarchy, ...so third party vendors of MBW /
>> MBR (like me) and / or application vendors can build the depicted
>> solution _easier_.
> This seems more useful for framework developers (on top of JAX-RS) than
application developers: I don't think application developers would want to
re-write a MBR/W for XML or JSON.
> This is why I suggested model transformations and interceptors instead.

Again, I did _never_ say anything about MBW in my proposal. The proposal
talks about the existence of @StructuralLink and lookupLink / lookupObject
methods solely. One can use these methods in entity providers _or_
interceptors. Also, there are framework developers out there and I do not
see any reason not to provide supportive APIs for THEM. :-)

> It's also unclear to me that there's enough meta-data to implement those
lookup methods; I believe you would need meta-data connecting models and
resources at least.

Can you please elaborate what you think is missing? Maybe it is simple to
add that missing brick?

Regards
-Markus

-- Santiago