users@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jax-rs-spec users] Re: Hypermedia API

From: Markus KARG <markus_at_headcrashing.eu>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 13:38:16 +0100

Santiago,

(1) "MyMBW" is independent of any other existing MBWs: Unfortunately I
forgot to add @Produces("application/xml+a") when I hacked that pseudo code!
Sorry for the confusion. In fact, "MyMBW" is _not_ intended for _generic_
XML or JSON. It is explicitly written for one _particular_ schema (here:
"xml+a"), as we use a lot of specialized schemas in our application but
never _generic_ XML or JSON. Hence, all generic XML is simply still
processed by the JAX-RS implementation's MBW, while _solely_ "xml+a" is
processed by "MyMBW". I think the same solution could also work with entity
interceptors as long as they get access to "lookupLink" methods, but in fact
it was developed on JAX-RS 2.1, where no interceptors existed. In fact
interceptors might be a superior approach, but we have not migrated our
solution to that already.

(2) Same as (1): Forgot @Consumes("application/xml+a"). Yes, "MyMBW",
"MyMBR" and the data model do exist on the client side, too. But this is not
mandatory, as one could decide to use JAX-RS server with non-Java client,
certainly. About JSON-LD please note that our solution is representation
independent: It currently supports "application/xml+a" but if we decide to
support JSON, we could simply provide an alternative implementation of
"MyMBW" that @Produces("application/ld+json+a"). The client can then send
"Accept: application/ld+json+a, 1.0; application/xml+0.5" to indicate type
preference, and the server would choose "MyMBW_XML" vs. "MyMBW_JSONLD"
automatically. The solution itself is the same -- the MBW knows that schema
"...+a" is used, hence can replace objects by links. :-)

Regarding your summary, you missed what my actual proposal is about: I do
_not_ propose that any JAX-RS implementation comes with "MyMBW / MyMBR"
pre-bundled or that the existing XML-MBW shall get replaced or enhanced.
What I ask for _solely_ is that JAX-RS 2.1 support application programmers
and MBW vendors by defining...
(A) ...the "@StructuralLink" annotation as a model-independent and
MBW-independent way to identify structural links,
(B) ...the methods "lookupLink" and "lookupObject" to allow MBWs / MBRs to
be able to do the replacements without knowledge of the actual application /
resource hierarchy,
...so third party vendors of MBW / MBR (like me) and / or application
vendors can build the depicted solution _easier_.

Without (A) the model author needs to know the technology used in the entity
provider, so the model needs to be added with more annotations when more
entity providers are getting bundled. For example, when V1 of an application
supports "application/xml+a" then JAXB's @XmlAdapter is used, but when V2
shall _additionally_ support JSON-LD, then an _additional_ annotation for
JSON-B is to be added to the _model_! WITH (A) the model is untouched
instead!

Without (B) an MBW cannot be written by sole knowledge of the schema
"...+a", but in fact the MBW's author MUST know all @Path's and
@ApplicationPath's values, hence the MBW is then application-specific. WITH
(B) the MBW's author doesn't need to know anything besides the schema
"...+a", hence the MBW is application-independent and reusable!

I hope it is clear now. If not, don't hesitate to ask more questions! :-)

Regards
-Markus