users@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jax-rs-spec users] [jsr339-experts] Re: Re: Re: Re: Need clarification on Section 6.7

From: Marek Potociar <marek.potociar_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 14:06:21 +0100

On Feb 1, 2013, at 1:10 PM, Sergey Beryozkin <sberyozkin_at_talend.com> wrote:

> On 01/02/13 12:02, Marek Potociar wrote:

>>> Hmm..., both A and B are response filters, they are processing some Response, A is first to process it and decides to throw an exception (intentionally) - what I don't quite get is whether it means we have an immediate 500, or, we try to map this A-originated exception and if the mapping was successful, then let B a chance to handle this mapped response, even though A thought it was an exception case...
>>>
>>> I'm sorry if I'm slow :-), but I'm still a bit unclear.
>>
>> If A throws an exception that gets mapped, then both A and B will be invoked on the mapped response. If A throws an exception again, then the exception is going to be propagated to the hosting container.
>>
>> Hope it's crystal clear now,
>
> Definitely is, thanks Marek. The fact that A can be re-entered twice was definitely something I was not getting.
>
> Are we sure it is correct though to allow re-entrance into A and indeed all the response filters before A if A throws the exception intentionally, effectively saying 'I've had enough with processing this current response' ? Not really sure whether it is right or not, I guess it is interesting to imagine a bit the possible pros and cons

I'm not 100% sure, but as I wrote earlier, I believe that we should not promote programming models where a filter throws an exception in a "stateful" way, i.e. in a way that it would not expect to be applied to the mapped response.

My main motivation factors for promoting this approach are:

1. it's based on simple rules and JAX-RS users will be able to grasp these rules without too much confusion
2. a response filters should be invoked for any response to which they are applicable.
3. in general it's better to give all response filters involved in the given request processing a chance to react and process a mapped exception response that to ignore them for such responses.

In general, it means that global filters should be invoked for all responses and bound filters to responses originating from a component. Note here that a response to a mapped exception (thrown anyway in the req/resp processing) should not deviate from this rule IMO. While it may not be obvious with 2 response filters, consider scenario with 3 filters:

A->B->C; B throws exception that gets mapped to a response R(ex).

IMO the A should be given a chance to process the new R(ex) response.

Cheers,
Marek