users@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jax-rs-spec users] [jsr339-experts] Re: UriTemplate API?

From: Sergey Beryozkin <sberyozkin_at_talend.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 17:23:16 +0000

Hi
On 20/02/13 17:08, Marek Potociar wrote:
> Hello experts,
>
> Please review the issue that has been recently filed:
> http://java.net/jira/browse/JAX_RS_SPEC-359
>
> In summary the user wants to be able take a URI template, e.g.
> "http://example.com/name/{name}/age/{age}" and then take a URI, e.g.
> "http://example.com/name/Arnold/age/65" (guess who...) and extract the
> parameter values information into a Map<String, String> instance.
>
> The solution may look like:
>
> UriBuilder builder =
> UriBuilder.fromUri("http://example.com/name/{name}/age/{age}");
> UriTemplate template = builder.template();
> Map<String, String> params = new HashMap<String, String>();
> if (template.match("http://example.com/name/Arnold/age/65", params)) {
> params.put("name", "Alois");
> URI uri = builder.buildFromMap(params);
> }
>
> The above requires following API changes:
>
> * introduce UriTemplate to represent, well, URI templates...
> * add ability to get UriTemplate instances from UriBuilderand WebTarget
> * expose the boolean UriTemplate.match(URI, Map<String, String>)
> method as part of the UriTemplate API.
>
> Now, finally, my question is:
>
> Q1. Do you think the above API would be useful?
> Q2. Is it something we should still try to add into JAX-RS 2.0, given
> where we are?
On the server side, UriInfo.getPathParameters will give it to us, thus
I'd prefer not to rush at this stage with the introduction of
UriTemplate - it can become handy but IMHO quite a bit of thinking may
needed to figure out how exactly this interface may look like, for
example, should it then also offer say a method getNumberOfTemplateVars,
etc...

By the way, I haven't guessed yet who opened it, looking now :-)

Cheers, Sergey