users@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jax-rs-spec users] [jsr339-experts] Re: security and a client builder API

From: Bill Burke <bburke_at_redhat.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 16:57:45 -0500

On 1/10/2013 5:11 AM, Sergey Beryozkin wrote:
> On 09/01/13 21:05, Bill Burke wrote:

>>> I'm certainly not an SSL expert, but overall it looks good to me.
>>> Seems to address keystores, SSL context, etc. Some questions:
>>>
>>> (1) Are there defaults for all these builder methods if not called? Or
>>> will build() throw an exception if the building process is somehow
>>> incomplete?
>>>

>> No failures if something not called.
>>
>> defaults are:
>> * SSL connections will fail unless JDK's default truststore trusts the
>> server you are connecting too. Disabling verification is a huge security
>> hole.
>> * Not defining a connection pool size, the pool size defaults to zero.
>>
>>> (2) What's the rationale/advantage of supporting per-hostname
>>> connection pools here?
>>>

>> Just copying Apache Client. Could be total connections pooled, or
>> whatever.
>>
>>> (3) Is there a relationship between this builder and Resteasy's
>>> implementation of ClientFactory?
>>>

>> Its what we use at the moment. I'm already using it.
>>
>> I'm also thinking maybe we have a cookie flag that states whether
>> cookies should be saved and transmitted or not.
>>

>> I think SSL, pooling, and cookies are all the major features of Apache
>> Client that people use.
>>
> The API should not be centered around Apache Client, if this API can be
> applied equally well to the default JDK URL connection/etc then it is
> OK, otherwise not

The API is centered around features that people use. I've talked to a
few users about me wanting to replace AHC. The main feaures are
SSL/HTTPS, pooling, cookies, and caching. IMO, I just don't see how we
can release JAX-RS 2.0 without at least SSL/HTTPS configuration options.

--
Bill Burke
JBoss, a division of Red Hat