users@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jax-rs-spec users] [jsr339-experts] Re: Feature Proposal: Using @RolesAllowed for JAX-RS resources

From: Sergey Beryozkin <sberyozkin_at_talend.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 23:11:56 +0000

On 16/11/12 21:04, Markus KARG wrote:
> [...]
>>> either can or can not.
>>>

>> I guess you thought I suggested "to send DELETE" before the user who
>> 'can but does not want' to actually chooses to press "DELETE".
>>
>> Is that right ? If yes then let me clarify that no, I did not mean
>> that.
>> It is not possible to implement in the monolitic UI.
>
> Yes I thought you mean that.
>
>> My idea was: if the user presses "Delete" button - then send DELETE if
>> we get 403 then disable the button and show the error message in the
>> console.
>
> I understand your idea but it does not provide an intuitive GUI. I mean hey,
> a button that is enable first and once I pressed it jumps to disabled state
> is everything but user friendly. Users expect that the GUI has all buttons
> disabled right from the start.
>
>> In you case you will do OPTIONS per every specific resource URI. Which
>> is more expensive in cases where a given logged-in user does have all
>> the rights to do all the actions - the more rights the user has the
>> more expensive your approach becomes.
>
> This is not true. It does not scale with the current user's rights but
> solely with the number of visible buttons or menus on the screen (which is
> static). For example, you can show a table with 20 resources, have one menu
> bar with things like "[Delete][Edit]" and so on at the top. To build that
> GUI you just do one single OPTIONS call for the currently (initially)
> selected row of the table to learn about all allowed actions on that
> resource, in turn enabling or disabling [Delete] and [Edit]. When the user
> selects a different row, you invoke another single OPTIONS on that newly
> selected row to learn about the new authorization, in turn enabling or
> disabling... and so on. As this implements the "last possible point in time"
> paradigm, it executes the least possible load but has the ultimately current
> and responsive GUI.
>
>> With my approach the cost is none for the users with most rights.
>> If the user has the limited rights then the only cost is the single
>> futile attempt to invoke some action on a given resource - but you
>> don't win here either with OPTIONS round trip
>
> I think with "your approach" you mean the idea of sending a full view?
>
> Then this is assumption is not true, the cost is not "none", as you must
> produce, transfer, parse the information for *all* 20 rows in the initial
> invocation *and* have to implement a background thread to poll the status
> updates periodically for *all* 20 rows -- since possibly the browser was
> left open for some time (in the meantime the user might have granted more
> rights) so when moving the selection bar my solution will be up-to-date
> while your GUI will show outdated information.
>
> What your solution spares is roundtrips, but not real workload or
> transferred volume. Calculate a real world example in real bytes not making
> any assumptions like "it is ok that the GUI is outdated" etc. and you will

In the end of the day, may be you are right. Or may be not: HTML-centric
UIs are on the rise, and modular UI (aka where every part of it is
linked to a bigger whole via references and such) is easy to build on
the server and let the browser do the presentation with all
enabled/disabled from a start.

I've found this discussion to be quite interesting to be honest.

I'd encourage to not try to get JAX-RS runtime deal with the diff level
responsibilities - and to be honest this is my main objection. I know
you asked for the ESB-specific module only to support it - my concern
would be people will request it be supported across the all JAX-RS
integration modules. Writing and testing a filter which can easily check
@RolesAllowed is easy - I can share the code from the existing CXF
interceptor which does it

Cheers, Sergey