users@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jax-rs-spec users] [jsr339-experts] Apache HTTP Client + JAX-RS

From: Bill Burke <bburke_at_redhat.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 11:34:11 -0500

I actually think this is quite important to think about how Apache HTTP
client effects JAX-RS. Specifically on the security stuff we're
thinking about adding to the spec.

For example, if you look at how you configure HTTPS and client-cert auth
for Apache HC, you notice that you cannot really set things up on the
fly, you can't really modify them on the fly either. These things need
to be available before you make one connection with Apache HC client:

* server truststore (for HTTPS)
* client keystore (for client-cert auth)
* In some situations a hostname verifier is needed.

This is leading me to believe that simple security properties aren't
gonna cut it and we're gonna need some builder API to bind security
config to a Client or WebTarget. Basically a builder API says "I'm done
configuring connection properties, you can build the DefaultHttpClient
now!" I'm prototyping one at the moment and will be ready to propose
something soon, but it would be cool to get your thoughts on this.

--
Bill Burke
JBoss, a division of Red Hat