users@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jax-rs-spec users] [jsr339-experts] Re: Re: Re: ExceptionMappers and WebApplicationExceptions

From: Marek Potociar <marek.potociar_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 15:05:19 +0100

IMO, taking into account compatibility with existing applications, we should not modify the exceptions thrown by these applications. So IMO, this is what we should do:

- JAX-RS runtime MUST throw a specific WAE subtype. This must be indicated in the spec.
- JAX-RS runtime MUST NOT modify WAE instances raised by the application code (to avoid compatibility issues).

I filed a new Jira issue to track this: http://java.net/jira/browse/JAX_RS_SPEC-306

The above will ensure that JAX-RS as well as new applications are able to leverage the new exception hierarchy. It also ensures that existing applications that throw a WAE today will not se a change in the behavior with the respect to application-thrown exceptions. Also, it avoids the need to do too much magic at runtime.

Marek