users@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jax-rs-spec users] [jsr339-experts] Re: Re: Overhead of AsyncResponse

From: Markus KARG <markus_at_headcrashing.eu>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 18:56:39 +0100

Have to object: Our world wide 260+ "enterprise grade" customers really love
tuning options, since about 10% of them sooner or later had experienced
problems as those described. :-)

I really understand you point of view, but JAX-RS is planned to be part of
Java EE ("Enterprise", not "Embedded") so it should target _more_ on
enterprise needs than on SOHO needs (I would agree to your good points if
JAX-RS would be planned to be part of Java SE, what actually would be rather
cool). As an ISV, I do not know at time of boxing whether my customer in
future is driving a server farm or a laptop-as-a-server, so I have to
prepare my application for the largest possible scenario (or clearly tell
customers: Do not use in heavy-duty-environments -- which would cut revenue
from those 260+ companies!).

There is nothing lost if one adds Marek's kind of "complex" support, it is
rather unexpensive to implement. But there could be a problem if we omit
this support. Call that "overload-angst" a vendor-view if you like, but as
soon as your customer has to span half of the world with his server farm,
this soon becomes a customer-view, too. ;-)