users@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jax-rs-spec users] [jsr339-experts] Re: Re: Concerns about the client-side exception hierarchy

From: Bill Burke <bburke_at_redhat.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 09:15:07 -0500

On 2/1/12 9:11 AM, Santiago Pericas-Geertsen wrote:

> On Jan 30, 2012, at 5:48 PM, Sergey Beryozkin wrote:
>
>>> MethodNotAllowedException
>>> BadRequestException
>>> NotAcceptableException
>>> InternalServerErrorException
>>> UnauthorizedException
>>> UnsupportedMediaTypeException
>>> NotFoundException
>>>

>>> Finally, these above exceptions would be useful on the server side.
>>> *NOT* for application code to catch, but rather to write
>>> ExceptionMappers for. So, Jersey/Resteasy whoever would throw those
>>> exceptions internally, and applications could write ExceptionMapper for
>>> those exceptions.
>>>
>>> Resteasy implemented these features on client/server after suggestions
>>> from users.
>
> I'm not sure I follow this. So the framework throws and catches the
> exception in order to call the user-defined mapper? Can you elaborate?
> This seems odd …

I've had the case where users want to handle 404, 405, etc. on their own
instead of the JAX-RS container handling them automatically. This is
especially the case where users want to send specific error formats back
to the client. That make sense more?

Also, these exceptions might be thrown on the server side by app code too.

--
Bill Burke
JBoss, a division of Red Hat