users@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jax-rs-spec users] [jsr339-experts] Re: Does FilterContext.getRequestBuilder() copy request?

From: Marek Potociar <marek.potociar_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 13:25:15 +0100

On 12/12/2011 11:43 PM, Bill Burke wrote:
> On the client side, for a RequestFilter, what does FilterContext.getReqeustBuilder return? Does it make a copy of the
> existing request? It should, or at least should have a Request.Builder.builder(Request.Builder copy); method.

My understanding is that the builder is a copy of the request.

> BTW, this interface is really really bizarre. These are the steps to modify/add a header:
>
> Builder b = filterContext.getRequestBuilder();
> b.header("foo", "value");
> filterContext.setRequest(b.build());

Or simply (borrowing style and variable name from your nicer example bellow:

ctx.setRequest(ctx.getRequestBuilder().header("foo", "value"));

Or, even better with continuation passing style:

return ctx.continue(ctx.getRequestBuilder().header("foo", "value"));

> Would be much nicer to do:
>
> ctx.getRequest().header("foo", value");
>
> All these builder interfaces buy you very very little (except for confusion and complexity). Its really hurting the
> spec, IMO.

I disagree.

Marek