users@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jax-rs-spec users] Re: Can I use jax-rs-api without Resteasy or Jersey framework?

From: Marek Potociar <marek.potociar_at_oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 18:22:33 +0100

On 12/16/2011 09:40 AM, Tang, Khiem wrote:
> I am looking to provide a generic and portable client for our REST web services. Just looked at a few articles from
> Santiago Pericas-Geertsen (http://www.java.net/blogs/spericas) about JAX-RS 2.0 Client API and that’s exactly what I am
> looking for but I don’t want to have another dependency on another framework such as Resteasy or Jersey. Can I just use
> JAX-RS 2.0 alone?

The API is open-source and you can use it as specified in the license agreement in the source code (e.g. to provide your
own implementation).

Does the library contain implementation as well?

No. The API does not contain any implementation, which is typical for all JavaEE APIs. It is just the API itself. Jersey
will provide reference implementation once the API is final. With Jersey you will be able to pick just the core + client
module if you would wish to use just the client-side of the JAX-RS API.

HTH,
Marek