users@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jax-rs-spec users] [jsr339-experts] Re: Request interface duplicates MBRs, HttpHeaders and UriInfo

From: Marek Potociar <marek.potociar_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 16:13:23 +0100

On Thu 15 Dec 2011 03:13:56 PM CET, Bill Burke wrote:

> On 12/15/11 7:42 AM, Sergey Beryozkin wrote:
>>> Please understand that we want to keep the amount of potential BW
>>> incompatibilities to an absolute minimum.
>>
>> This reminds me of the similar discussion we had about FilterContext.
>> Users do not implement HttpHeaders, right ? What BW compatibility issues
>> do you see users hitting in case of HttpHeaders being updated further ?
>>

> I was thinking about these types of classes which exist in JAX-RS 1.1 but don't fit very well in JAX-RS 2.0 (Request
> is a great example). What if we pretended that some of these interfaces just didn't exist, start with a clean state
> and define something cleaner? Then just depracate the old interfaces. I know Servlet (and the JDK) has done this a
> bunch of times with various classes and methods.

That's what we are trying to do with HttpHeaders. We also tried to do
it with Request and Response, but it didn't work that well. So let's
not jump back and forth. But for any other new cases that pop up we
should certainly consider this approach.
Btw. just for an inspiration, can you send out just a short list of
examples from Servlet API you are referring to?

Thanks,
Marek