users@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jax-rs-spec users] [jsr339-experts] Re: No way to disable a Feature

From: Bill Burke <bburke_at_redhat.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 13:14:24 -0500

On 12/13/11 12:13 PM, Marek Potociar wrote:

> On 12/13/2011 03:20 PM, Bill Burke wrote:

>>> Please clarify - are you suggesting to remove onDisable() and deffer the disabling mechanism to the Feature
>>> implementation or to add a common API for feature disabling?
>>>

>> I'll clarify. The Configuration interface has no way to unregister a provider at the moment.
>
> To follow up, my assumption was that while a provider can be registered, disabling a feature does not mean the provider
> is removed. I thought that it only means the feature will somehow set a "disabled" property, that will be checked by the
> provider whenever it is invoked. That's why I thought that adding more mutability (to remove providers) is not
> necessary. But if the above property-based solution for some reason is not sufficient or practical, we can add a couple
> of remove methods for providers.

I'd really like disable to be removed altogether as I don't see it as
very useful. Or at least see if users demand it and add it to JAXRS 2.1
or something.

Also, if you insist on having disable, i would like a
removeProvider/unregister method. Otherwise there's really no contract
between Feature and the container on how to "disable" a filter/handler.
  Sure the Feature could set a boolean flag on the filter/handler, but
the filter/handler will still be inserted into the call stack. I just
don't htink this is nice or good practice.

Bill

--
Bill Burke
JBoss, a division of Red Hat