jsr339-experts@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jsr339-experts] Re: Concerns about JAX-RS spec 326

From: Sergey Beryozkin <sberyozkin_at_talend.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 10:56:13 +0000

Hi Bill,
On 17/01/13 22:48, Bill Burke wrote:
> Not sure I understand the issue, but IMO, the TCK should be challenged
> if a backward compatible method signature change was done. For example,
> Java 5 had a huge number of backward compatible signature changes
> because of generics. Java EE should be the same.

I'll provide some more info. I've upgraded to 2.0 m10 API few months
ago, and I did not have to change UriBuilder methods accepting Class
parameters, the parameters were in the form "Class<?>" as far as I recall.

After upgrading to 2.0 m15 API I'm seeing Eclipse saying CXF
UriBuilderImpl does not override something, after converting "Class<?>"
to "Class" it started compiling with me having to also add
@SuppressWarning due to "Class" being not typed with a type parameter
which is not cool at all - haven't you seen it yourself in RestEasy ?

I can definitely live with having @SuppressWarning in the implementation
code but I don't get why making this change was done few weeks ago only
to manage TCK 1.1 signature tests passing, and what it is to do with 1.1
at all, these changes in 2.0 API, do you understand why ?
Also I agree that if there is some issue there then TCK 1.1 itself needs
to be fixed instead...

Sergey