jsr339-experts@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jsr339-experts] Re: [jax-rs-spec users] Re: Bring back BeanValidation

From: Marek Potociar <marek.potociar_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 17:50:54 +0200

On Oct 19, 2012, at 4:30 PM, Bill Burke <bburke_at_redhat.com> wrote:

> On 10/19/2012 9:29 AM, Emmanuel Bernard wrote:

>>> Ok then, I have no counterargument to Marke...Sorry Emmanuel.
>>> JAX-RS 1.1 came out same time as Java EE 6 to address integration
>>> issues. Marek seems to want to do the same thing. You ok with that
>>> Emmanuel?
>>
>> Are you telling me that:
>>
>> - JAX-RS 2.0 comes out very early next year
>> - JAX-RS 2.1 or 2.0.MR comes out before Java EE 7 is finalized and Java
>> EE 7 when coming out will for sure include JAX-RS 2.0MR

NO. It is not likely that JAX-RS 2.0MR will be out before Java EE 7, unless of course Java EE 7 does not slip for another 6 moths, which is unlikely. That is not the plan.

>> If that is the case then no I don't have any problem as long as we can
>> bring back the integration proposal to the table in time for the MR.
>> I did not know that this was the plan.
>>
>> But in the mean time, I would recommend that JAX-RS 2.0 drops entirely
>> the word validation from the specification. Piggy backing on CDI's
>> future integration is too adventurous at this stage.

I would be fine with that.

>> By the way, why is my previous message marked as Message not available?
>> http://java.net/projects/jax-rs-spec/lists/jsr339-experts/archive/2012-10/message/107

I'm not 100% sure, but perhaps as Emanuel is not JAX-RS EG member he cannot post to the Expert Group mailing list. He can post to the users mailing list.

>> Emmanuel
>>

> See Emmanuel's response above. Sorry if that was the plan all along Marek.

Thanks Bill. What Emmanuel infers was not the plan. The plan was to have full BV 1.1 support included in JAX-RS 2.0 spec. And I do not want to go into details here, but due to some scheduling conflicts the plan did not work out. This does not mean that we will not try to fix things as soon as possible. But I'm ready to resist any attempts to force JAX-RS spec to adopt a workaround solution just for the sake of saving a few months. Even if Java EE 7 is does not contain JAX-RS 2.0MR, no one will stop EE vendors from upgrading their support to the MR version once it's available.

Marek