jsr339-experts@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jsr339-experts] Re: [jax-rs-spec users] longer public draft stage...

From: Marek Potociar <marek.potociar_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 13:38:13 +0200

Hi Bill,

We've been releasing Jersey 2.0 milestones every 3-4 weeks since January 2012. Each Jersey milestone typically implements the very latest version of the JAX-RS 2.0 API. Currently, the latest released Jersey 2.0-m05 milestone implements JAX-RS 2.0 EDR3 version of the API. I'd say that JAX-RS users are able to play with the new JAX-RS API for about 6 months now and many of them already do so.

What we can do is to push PR a bit further to the end of July. We plan to release next Jersey 2.0 milestone (m06) by the end of July/beginning of August. The milestone will be (again) implementing the latest API changes introduced in PR. But I would disagree with making the PR stage longer than originally planned as users who want to play with the new JAX-RS 2.0 API can play with it already for half a year now. Also, the users will still have at least 45 days to play with PR before PFD is released.

Another motivation for not extending the PR period is that we plan to do a JAX-RS 2.1 maintenance release before Java EE 7 is out so that the maintenance release with additional fixes and improvements is included in Java EE 7. Please also note that according to the original schedule we should have been done with a final version of the spec by the end of June already. So it's not like we're cutting the schedule short. In fact, we're already slipping it quite significantly already.

Marek