jsr339-experts@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jsr339-experts] Re: [jax-rs-spec users] Re: Re: Consistency and awkwardness issues with Request/Response/Filter API

From: Santiago Pericas-Geertsen <Santiago.PericasGeertsen_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 10:09:55 -0400

On Mar 21, 2012, at 3:20 PM, Marek Potociar wrote:

>>> Hi Bill,
>>>
>>> At last, I found some time to look at your proposal. Here are some questions:
>>>
>>> i) From what I gather, entity interceptor chains can no longer be triggered from a filter (there's no readEntity()). Given that, is there a use case for a filter to update an entity interceptor chain?
>>>

>> I don't think so. Plus, with the current API, I don't think you can modify the entity interceptor chain anyways? Correct?
>
> Looking at the proposal, I wonder if the interceptors make sense anymore, given the fact that the filters can easily wrap the I/O streams, which I thought was the primary job of the interceptors?

 I think interceptors and filters operate at different extension points (aspects). Moreover, in this proposal, filters are basically untyped (streams) while interceptors are typed (beans). For example, a reader interceptor can update a bean after the runtime has called the corresponding MBR and before it's presented to a resource method.

-- Santiago