jsr339-experts@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jsr339-experts] Validation in Client API?

From: Santiago Pericas-Geertsen <Santiago.PericasGeertsen_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 15:50:36 -0400

Hi Experts,

 Marek and I met with Emmanuel Bernard (lead for Bean Validation JSR) this morning. I'm happy to report that our server side proposal [1] is very much inline with the work planned for BV 1.1. Specifically, they are planning to add support for method and constructor param validation as part of JSR 349, which is exactly what we need.

 In the next few days, I'll make some minor changes to our proposal to incorporate some feedback and clarify the validation lifecycle in more detail. Will likely only update the spec document and not the wiki.

 The one area that needs our attention is validation in the Client API. If you read that section in [1], you'll understand some of the challenges we face there. In particular, around annotation instances. Emmanuel's feedback was to drop validation from this low-level API and revisit the problem when a high-level API is discussed (where, likely, more assumptions about the client/server contract are available).

 Is anyone opposed to dropping validation from the low-level API? If so, please state your case ;)

-- Santiago

[1] http://java.net/projects/jax-rs-spec/pages/Validation