jsr339-experts@jax-rs-spec.java.net

[jsr339-experts] Re: Proposal to downgrade [JAX_RS_SPEC-39] Client Cache Support to MINOR

From: Markus KARG <markus_at_headcrashing.eu>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 18:45:53 +0200

> On 05/09/2011 07:07 PM, Markus KARG wrote:
> > But for the reasons you wrote I need to tell you that I do not see
> any better suited working group, as (AFAIK) there is no group working
> on a generic http client (which would be the right place if I get you
> right).
>
> Naturally, such group should be formed as part of the JSR.
>
> > For me it looks more like "Uh, what a lot of complex work. Let's skip
> that and never again talk about it." ;-)
>
> I am sorry you see it that way. I tried to explain why it seems out of
> scope and why we should switch focus and I
> thought it was obvious that hard work is not the issue here. Not sure
> how to make it more clear.

Maybe I skipped an important mail, but I just did not get a real, technical reason for skipping the cache feature. You just did not convince me. What is the actual reason why you do not want to implement it? As I wrote, there are transparent caches all the way between your browser and an online shop, and none of them is optimized for that particular application (besides possible the very last one directly before the shop server). So I just do not see any technical reason to *not* implement caching in the JAX-RS API or have a need for configuration. If I just would understand you actual problem I might get convinced, but at the moment, I just don't get the point of your rejection.