users@jax-rpc.java.net

Re: avoiding throws RemoteException?

From: Vivek Pandey <Vivek.Pandey_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 07:17:45 -0700

jastrachan_at_mac.com wrote:

> I realise this is a completely religious debate; but many folks in
> the POJO world have moved away from checked exceptions for things
> like RemoteException. e.g. see the Spring Framework. When working
> with Spring Remoting for example you never need to litter your POJOs
> with RemoteExceptions.
>
> Folks often use AOP / interceptors now to deal with remoting issues
> to handle retry loops or whatever. I wonder would you ever consider
> an option in JAX-WS's <wsimport> tool to allow the use of checked
> RemoteException to be made optional? If disabled the
> RemoteException's from JAX-WS could just be wrapped in some well
> defined RuntimeException.

Good point.

Its already addressed in the current implementation of JAXWS.
RemoteException was pulled off shortly after EA2 release. Now you no
longer required to throw RemoteException or wsimport wont generate
methods in SEI throwing RemoteException. There is runtime
WebServiceException that can be thrown if needed.

If you want try the weekly build posted from that doesnt have
RemoteException(be aware that there are some changes went in these bits
that are not yet reflected in user docs or samples):

https://jax-rpc.dev.java.net/files/documents/38/18332/JAXWS_SI_20050804.jar

-vivek.