users@jax-rpc.java.net

Sharing common data types between multiple WSDL files

From: Ryan LeCompte <ryan.lecompte_at_pangonetworks.com>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 09:49:32 -0400

Hello all,

I have a question regarding "best practices" for sharing similar data types
among multiple WSDL files. I have a custom data type that multiple web
services will be using. My fear is that I will have to define this data type
in each of the WSDL files for each of the web services. My ultimate wish
would be to define the data type in a single place so that each web
service's WSDL can reference it. If I define the same data type in each of
the WSDL files, then my fear is that the JWSDP code-generation utilities
(wscompile) will generate duplicate Java objects for the same data type in
different packages. This is definitely not desirable. What is the
recommended approach when multiple WSDL documents need to reference/use a
common custom data type?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you,

Ryan