users@jax-rpc.java.net

RE: Empty SOAPElement from .net WebService

From: Kevin Jones <kevinj_at_develop.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 07:29:57 -0000

> as far as i know the xmlns attribute belongs to the NCName
> domain so it can't be an empty string, then it's not a valid
> xml.... this could justify why jax-rpc ignored the stream.
> maybe an exception should be raised?

It can be an empty string, setting xmlns="" makes the default namespace 'no'
namespace, this is what you get if you don't use namespaces at all, i.e.

<foo /> is equivalent to
<foo xmlns="" />

and is often used to turn the default namespace off (in fact IIRC Axis
generates SOAP packets that use this construct).

Chrisjan, I would check to see what your SOAP message looks like, it may be
that the xmlns="" is turning off the default namespace that maybe needed, so
you may have something like

<SOAP:Envelope xmlns:SOAP="[SOAP-URI]"] xmlns="[MY-URI]">
<SOAP:Body>
<foo xmlns="">

or maybe

<Envelope xmlns="">