users@jax-rpc.java.net

JAX-RPC jar too big

From: Mete Kural <metek_at_touchtonecorp.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 16:37:01 +0000

Hello All,

I had asked this question about two years ago on this list. Since then there have been several new releases of JAX-RPC and the corresponding reference implementation so I am wondering if things have changed since then.

About two years ago we wanted to add the ability to access a Web service to a Java applet. We wanted to use JAX-RPC but we couldn't because the JAX-RPC implementation provided in the JWSDP was too large (several megabytes) and it would make the size of our Java applet three times!! Since then this project has been sleeping but now recently it has revived again. Back then, a Sun employee had said that they were planning on working on this and providing a smaller jar for clients using JAX-RPC which don't need all the server classes. Has there been any such work done? I just downloaded JWSDP 1.5 and the jaxrpc-impl.jar is more than 5 megabytes large!! Is there a limited jar available for small footprint Web service clients?

Thank you very much,
Mete Kural

--
Mete Kural