users@jax-rpc.java.net

JAX-RPC 2.0 - question about portability / inclusion in J2SE ....

From: Mark D. Hansen <m.hansen23_at_verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 19:00:57 -0500

I notice the following listed as a GOAL for JAX-RPC 2.0:

"Inclusion in J2SE JAX-RPC 2.0 will prepare JAX-RPC for inclusion in a future version of J2SE. Application portability is a key requirement and JAX-RPC 2.0 will define mechanisms to produce fully portable clients."

I such portability really possible? Two different JAXB implementations are not going to be guaranteed to serialize a Bean to instances of exactly the same schema. So, the XML produced from an instance of such a Bean will vary depending on the JAXB implementation being used - right? So, if the Bean mapped to an XML schema type by one implementation of JAXB is not portable to another implementation, how are you going to make that Bean portable across J2SE impelementations for the purpose of invoking a web service via JAX-RPC?

I am confused by this, and it is important to projects that I'm working on because we very much want portable JAX-RPC [de]serializers. Inclusion of JAXRPC in J2SE would imply portability of [de]serializer, I assume - but I don't see how that can be done.

Thanks for any clarification,

Mark Hansen
mark_at_javector.com