users@jax-rpc.java.net

comparing JAX-RPC web service created with deploytool and with plain wsdeploy (Sun J2EE 1.4 RI)

From: Merten Schumann <Merten.Schumann_at_asg.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 15:22:49 +0200

Hello,

playing with Sun J2EE RI 1.4, I followed the whitepapers

to create a JAXRPC web service by hand, not by using deploytool. I want
to understand what's going on behind the scenes.

The interesting thing is, when I create the HelloService sample
according to the white papers, I do end up with a lot more classes in
the .war file (...RequestStruct.class, ...Tie.class). In the .war
created by deploytool, I have this sun-web.xml and webservices.xml
stuff, which is not mentioned in whitepapers (since it's not portable, I
guess).

Makes the mapping file (created in wscompile step) the difference? It's
in the deploytool generated .war. In the white papers it's not used in
the wsdeploy step ...

Is the .war file generated by wsdeploy (AAA) portable? When I do open it
in deploytool, its different from the deploytool generated (BBB) one. In
example, on tab "General", AAA is shown there as a servlet with Servlet
Class "com.sun.xml.rpc.server.http.JAXRPCServlet", for BBB is shown
under "Service Endpoint Implementation" "helloservice.HelloImpl". And
for BBB there is an "Endpoint" tab, which not exists for AAA. I guess
this all is just due to missing "sun-web.xml" and "webservices.xml"
files in AAA and AAA is portable.

Thank you!
   Merten