users@jax-rpc.java.net

Re: JWSDP1.4 new features

From: Dennis Sosnoski <dms_at_sosnoski.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 11:20:58 -0700

If JAX-RPC only supports Attachments Profile 1.0 I'd think the
attachment support is not all that useful, since AFAIK .NET only
supports their DIME alternative. It's really annoying that MS hasn't
added support for SwA, too. Perhaps now that Sun and MS are working
together on interoperability issues (from what I remember of the April
Fools settlement) you can nudge them on this? ;-)

Incidentally, I tried taking some code I'd written for JAX-RPC RI using
JWSDP 1.3 and ported it across to JWSDP 1.4. I was pleased that I was
able to get it working with no major problems, despite the changes.

The code I moved to JWSDP 1.4 was for a performance comparison, which
I've now published at
http://www.sosnoski.com/presents/cleansoap/comparing.html The comparison
tests one sample service using JAX-RPC RI, Apache Axis (current build),
my JibxSoap experimental framework
(http://jibx.sourceforge.net/jibxsoap/index.html), and RMI. This is
mainly concerned with doc/lit usage (which is all JibxSoap supports),
but I include Axis rpc/enc for comparison purposes. If anyone notices
anything I can tweak in the JAX-RPC RI to improve the results there,
please let me know - I want to show each alternative at its best. I'll
update the tests when the next Axis beta is released.

People might also be interested in my related "Cleaning up SOAP Web
Services" presentation at
http://www.sosnoski.com/presents/cleansoap/index.html This discusses
some of the doc/lit vs rpc/enc, performance, attachments, and security
issues with web services.

  - Dennis