users@jax-rpc.java.net

[Resolved] Problem with Tomcat when JWSDP 1.4 is integrated ( was Re: Is Apache Axis required to deploy JAX-RPC application?).

From: ramesh mandava <Ramesh.Mandava_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 10:34:55 -0700

Hi:
    We figured out the reason for the problem which Shaba was facing
while using Tomcat after integrating JWSDP 1.4. It turns out to be a
bug, where catalina.properties doesn't have entry for loading new JAXP
jars through common class loader.

 You can replace the original "catalina.properties" under
"CATALINA_HOME/conf " with the attached file and everything should work
fine.

One other info. is that as part of "CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml", we
have "unpackWARs" attribute set to "false". This means that WAR files
are not needed to be expanded for invoking webapplications. That is why
you won't see the WAR files expanded in webapps directory of Tomcat.
 If you want to see the ".war" files expanded then you need to set this
property to "true".

Here is the email from Shaba confirming things are working

===
Dear Ramesh,

The problom cured.

I got a log file when i tried to uninstall the JWSDP1.4.I am attaching
it with this.That log file says that catalina.home property was'nt
properly set.

Then i set catalina.home system property installed again JWSDP and
uninstalled again.This time,the installer asked me to restart the
system..first time!.

Then i have restarted and installed JWSDP again.works fine no errors
while starting tomcat.

But when i try to put my sunreg.war file to

TOMCAT_HOME/webapps

It does'nt extracts.

That problom remains.But i hope everything will be fine now.

And i have tried with catalina.properties you have sent.the Tomcat
server starts fine.But not extracting the target.war file

But I have extracted it and put it in webappas directory.

gave the URL

Hallejullah!! everything is fine.

Thanks you very much for helping me from the biggining.You gave a great
concern to me and the problom.

Thanks again,

Shaba

Hi Shaba:
Can you please try out this with the attached catalina.properties and
see if the problem goes away? YOu need to place this under
CATALINA_HOME/conf

Also please let me know the OS which you are using.

Thanks for helping us to find out the problem which you are facing.

Regards
-Ramesh
===

Regards
-Ramesh

Ramesh Mandava wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> And i hav extracted it and put in webapps directory,no use,servlet is
>> not locating
>>
>> i have given URL,
>>
>> http://localhost:8080/target/sunreg
>>
>> No way.The same error as before.Not Found the resource error.
>>
>> and i have tried putting the extracted file in webapps/ROOT
>> directory,No way.
>>
>> This error is strange.Not having much value The FUN of this error
>> continues.Dont getting any clues.FANTASTIC error.
>>
>> Just have a look of some possible causes.
>>
>> Thanks for all the help,
>> Shaba
>>

>> */va <Ramesh.Mandava_at_Sun.COM>/* wrote:
>>
>> Hi Shaba:
>>
>> > Dear Ramesh,
>> >
>> > This is an unusual error.all errors i am posting here is something
>> > unusual.becoz usually there is no error for other people.but
>> typically
>> > for me.strange,but fun.enjoying the errors.lol.

>> sent me
>> >
>> > I am attaching log file.Plz have a look on it.
>>
>> Ok. The error seems to be specific to your installation. You are
>> getting
>> NoClassDefFoundError for org/apache/tomcat/util/log/SystemLogHandler
>>
>> ==
>> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
>> org/apache/tomcat/util/log/SystemLogHandler
>> ===
>>
>> The mentioned class is part of
>> /server/lib/tomcat-util.jar
>>
>> wh! ich would be loaded by Catalina "server class loader" itself.
>> SO if
>> the installation is successful, you shouldn't face the problem.
>>
>> I am suspecting the following
>>
>> 1) You may have CATALINA_HOME or CATALINA_BASE system property set
>> which is pointing to some old installation directory which was
>> partially
>> deleted. Please check you system properties and make sure those
>> properties are not set
>> 2) You may not have successful Tomcat installation.
>> Please make sure that you downloaded "tomcat-jwsdp14-1.0.zip" from
>> http://java.sun.com/webservices/containers/tomcat_for_JWSDP_1_4.html
>>
>> and unzipped the zip file to get "tomcat-jwsdp-1.4" directory.
>>
>> You can try starting Tomcat BEFORE you integrate JWSDP 1.4 into this
>> installation.
>> Once you are able to start Tomcat this way then you can go ahead and
>> Stop Tomcat and then integration JWSDP 1.4 onto this installation.
>>
>> If you still get any problem after confirming above 2 things, then
>> please let me know.
>>
>> Regards
>> -Ramesh
>>

>> > Thanks,
>> > Shaba

>> >For additional commands, e-mail: users-help_at_jax-rpc.dev.java.net

>> New and Improved Yahoo! Mail
>> <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/10/*http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail/static/efficiency.html>
>> - Send 10MB messages!

> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help_at_jax-rpc.dev.java.net

#
# List of comma-separated packages that start with or equal this string
# will cause a security exception to be thrown when
# passed to checkPackageAccess unless the
# corresponding RuntimePermission ("accessClassInPackage."+package) has
# been granted.
package.access=sun.,org.apache.catalina.,org.apache.coyote.,org.apache.tomcat.,org.apache.jasper.,sun.beans.
#
# List of comma-separated packages that start with or equal this string
# will cause a security exception to be thrown when
# passed to checkPackageDefinition unless the
# corresponding RuntimePermission ("defineClassInPackage."+package) has
# been granted.
#
# by default, no packages are restricted for definition, and none of
# the class loaders supplied with the JDK call checkPackageDefinition.
#
package.definition=sun.,java.,org.apache.catalina.,org.apache.coyote.,org.apache.tomcat.,org.apache.jasper.

#
#
# List of comma-separated paths defining the contents of the "common"
# classloader. Prefixes should be used to define what is the repository type.
# Path may be relative to the CATALINA_HOME path or absolute. If left as blank,
# the JVM system loader will be used as Catalina's "common" loader.
# Examples:
# "foo": Add this folder as a class repository
# "foo/*.jar": Add all the JARs of the specified folder as class
# repositories
# "foo/bar.jar": Add bar.jar as a class repository
common.loader=${catalina.home}/common/classes,${catalina.home}/common/endorsed/*.jar,${catalina.home}/jaxp/lib/endorsed/*.jar,${catalina.home}/*/lib/*.jar

#
# List of comma-separated paths defining the contents of the "server"
# classloader. Prefixes should be used to define what is the repository type.
# Path may be relative to the CATALINA_HOME path or absolute. If left as blank,
# the "common" loader will be used as Catalina's "server" loader.
# Examples:
# "foo": Add this folder as a class repository
# "foo/*.jar": Add all the JARs of the specified folder as class
# repositories
# "foo/bar.jar": Add bar.jar as a class repository
server.loader=${catalina.home}/server/classes,${catalina.home}/server/lib/*.jar

#
# List of comma-separated paths defining the contents of the "shared"
# classloader. Prefixes should be used to define what is the repository type.
# Path may be relative to the CATALINA_BASE path or absolute. If left as blank,
# the "common" loader will be used as Catalina's "shared" loader.
# Examples:
# "foo": Add this folder as a class repository
# "foo/*.jar": Add all the JARs of the specified folder as class
# repositories
# "foo/bar.jar": Add bar.jar as a class repository
shared.loader=${catalina.base}/shared/classes,${catalina.base}/shared/lib/*.jar