users@jax-rpc.java.net

Complex return values and a NullPointerException

From: Gabriel Bauman <gabe_at_bravenet.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 16:29:17 -0700

Hello,

When calling a method published by JAX-RPC that returns a complex type,
I am receiving the following error on the client:

faultcode: env:Client
faultstring: JAXRPC.TIE.01: caught exception while handling request: deserialization error: java.lang.NullPointerException

In my server logs, the exception appears deep in JAX-RPC generated classes:

[16:20:27.876]JAXRPC.JAXRPCSERVLET.19: got request for endpoint: LeetService
[16:20:27.876]JAXRPC.JAXRPCSERVLET.21: invoking implementor: com.sun.xml.rpc.server.http.Implementor_at_9ba045
[16:20:27.879]deserialization error: java.lang.NullPointerException
[16:20:27.879] at com.sun.xml.rpc.encoding.ObjectSerializerBase.deserialize(ObjectSerializerBase.java:214)
[16:20:27.879] at com.sun.xml.rpc.encoding.ReferenceableSerializerImpl.deserialize(ReferenceableSerializerImpl.java:134)
[16:20:27.879] at com.bravenet.hosting.provisioner.ws.LeetService__LeetService__Tie.deserialize_findAccount(LeetService__LeetService__Tie.java:158)
[16:20:27.879]CAUSE:
[16:20:27.879]
[16:20:27.879]java.lang.NullPointerException
[16:20:27.879] at com.bravenet.hosting.provisioner.ws.LeetService_findAccount_RequestStruct__LeetService__SOAPSerializer.doDeserialize(LeetService_findAccount_ RequestStruct__LeetService__SOAPSerializer.java:42)
[16:20:27.879] at com.sun.xml.rpc.encoding.ObjectSerializerBase.deserialize(ObjectSerializerBase.java:167)

The exception is thrown before the service implementation class's
matching method is called, so I cannot catch it anywhere in my code on
the server. I am using the JAX-RPC that came with the JWSDP 1.4.

I have attached a WSDL file which contains 2 operations. findAccount
(long) always fails as I have described. leet() always succeeds. It
seems that whenever I call a method that returns a complex type, the
service fails.

Can anyone offer any insight as to what is happening here?

--
Gabriel Bauman <gabe_at_bravenet.com>
Bravenet Web Services Inc.