users@jax-rpc.java.net

Re: Using unbounded sequences

From: Dennis Sosnoski <dms_at_sosnoski.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 10:09:34 -0800

While my understanding of rpc/lit matches Marc's, my earlier comments on
doc/lit vs rpc/lit still hold. I can see very little in the way of
advantages for rpc/lit and many disadvantages (including
interoperability, as Anne pointed out). I'm also not sure about Marc's
claim that a schema definition can be synthesized for rpc/lit based on
the WSDL. This goes back to my earlier question about the message
components representing parameters - are the names of these components
actually fixed by the WSDL, or only the types? My understanding is that
only the types are fixed, which would mean that a schema could not be
constructed from the WSDL.

As I see it, rpc/lit is a way of holding on to the original method call
model of SOAP. I think this model is too limited to be usable for
general processing. Why support something that's admittedly a subset of
the other approach, also supported? I know a number of people who train
developers on web services (including myself) and have yet to meet one
who advocates (or even discusses in any depth) the use of rpc/lit,
instead moving students directly from rpc/enc to doc/lit.

As for WS-I BP 1.0a, I do not see any requirement in the document that
implementations support both doc/lit and rpc/lit. Instead, it defines
the restrictions on how each of these alternatives is to operate. There
are other places in the document where support for a particular feature
is required, and that is clearly stated (for instance: "R4001 A RECEIVER
MUST accept messages that include the Unicode Byte Order Mark (BOM).").
If the BP 1.0a writers did indeed intent to require support for both
doc/lit and rpc/lit they did an amazingly poor job of stating that in
the document, which seems very inconsistent with the rest of their
careful work.

  - Dennis

--
Dennis M. Sosnoski