users@jax-rpc.java.net

Re: Rpc/literal and validation

From: Dennis Sosnoski <dms_at_sosnoski.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 13:12:13 -0800

Rob Kool wrote:

>On 3/22/04 10:36 AM, "Dennis Sosnoski" <dms_at_sosnoski.com> wrote:
>

>>I don't know of any place where WS-I BP requires support for
>>rpc/literal, only that it allows it. It seems clear that this form is
>>likely to die out quickly, since it has major disadvantages as opposed
>>to doc/literal (particularly that it can't be validated) and no
>>substantial advantages.
>>
>>- Dennis
>>

>What do people mean when they say that rpc/literal can't be validated?
>Surely, the parameters of a web service method are defined using XML schema.
>RPC/literal style puts a wrapper over these parameters to do dispatching to
>the right method. Once in application code you get back the parameters. The
>validation of schema can be done by the runtime or the application. Am I
>missing something?
>
>-Rob

With WS-I compliant doc/lit you define the complete XML structure of the
message body for a particular request and/or response, since the body
has to be an element that's defined by the <types> section of your WSDL
(generally using a schema). This makes it easy to directly validate the
actual content of a message, if desired (though I don't know if any Java
frameworks actually provide this capability at present).

As I understand it (my rpc/lit experience is minimal), with rpc/lit you
only define types which can then be used for individual parameters
within the body of a request/response. The actual types used for a
particular message are specified by the WSDL <message> element, but this
layer of indirection means that the message body can't be directly
validated against the <types> schema - you'd need to construct one based
on the element names used with the types. I *think* the names used in
the actual message can also be different from those used in the WSDL
<message> description, but I might be wrong. Does anyone know for sure
on this point?

  - Dennis