users@jax-rpc.java.net

Re: How to describe variable # of Attachments in WSDL

From: Anne Thomas Manes <anne_at_manes.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 20:01:51 -0500

Farrukh,

This point is a little unclear. The WS-I Attachments Profile [1] says that
SwA places no restriction on the type of any non-root part in a
multipart/related message. Even so, I don't think it's permitted to have an
attachment which is itself a mime multipart. I believe you must define each
part in a separate <mime:part> element. See R2909 in the draft WS-I
Attachments Profile. You may list multiple <mime:content> elements within
the <mime:part> definition, but multiple content elements are considered
alternate acceptable serializations of one part (e.g., jpeg or gif) rather
than multiple parts. All content elements in a <mime:part> must refer to
the same message part definition, and I believe you must indicate the
content type. I can't think of how you would define a mime multipart in the
message part definition.

Note that you MUST send all parts define in the WSDL, and you MAY send
additional parts not defined in the WSDL. See R2923 and R2926. I see no
facility to specify optional parts.

Perhaps you should submit this use case to WS-I.

[1] http://www.ws-i.org/Profiles/Basic/2003-08/AttachmentsProfile-1.0.pdf

Regards,
Anne