users@jax-rpc.java.net

re: JAX-RPC and Apache Axis

From: Eduardo Pelegri-Llopart <Eduardo.Pelegrillopart_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 12:07:52 -0800

> You may use any implementation of these APIs to
> build Web services.

The goal of the Java Community Process (JCP) is to make this true. A
JCP expert group delivers a spec, a TCK and a Reference Implementation.
  A conformant implementation must at least pass the TCK; in practice it
should pass other tests, including inter-operability with other key vendors.

[There is also the issue of J2EE conformance; that adds additional tests]

I don't know the status of all the implementations in Anne's list, but I
know that a number of them are conformant with the JAX-RPC spec.

> ... Sun promotes these reference implementations as product
> quality.

Sun uses these implementations (modulo version drifts) in our WS-related
products including the Application Server and the IDE (Java
Studio/NetBeans).

We have struggled with what term to use to describe this implementation
and sometimes use the term "Standard Ipmlementation" to try to reduce
confusions.

The term "Reference Implementation" just means "the implementation that
is submitted by the expert group lead to show that the specification is
implementable, that the TCK is meaningful, and as a way to give the
community a way to practice the specification". An RI can vary from a
naive implementation to a full-fledged, product quality, implementation.
  What to do depends on the implementation and on the marketplace. A
few years ago there were more RIs that were "simple" implementations but
that is not as commonly the case. In our situation, given that Sun's
AppServer 8.0 PE is free, there is little incentive in keeping two
versions of these implementations, so you are seing what goes into the
product.

        - eduard/o