users@jax-rpc.java.net

RE: JAX-RPC and Apache Axis

From: Anne Thomas Manes <anne_at_manes.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 08:40:03 -0500

Mark,

The most popular implementation is Apache Axis. Both Borland and Macromedia
provide GUI plug-ins for Axis in JBuilder and MX respectively.

I've found that most of the commercial implementations are much easier to
use, though.

My personal favorites are Systinet WASP and webMethods Glue. WASP supports
JAX-RPC, but it doesn't implement the stub interface (it does implement the
proxy and DII interfaces, as well as JAX-RPC holders and handlers, etc.)
WASP has the most comprehensive serialization framework of all Java Web
services platforms. As a developer, you don't see a difference between
RPC/Encoded and Document/Literal. And interoperability is pretty much
seamless. Glue provides a thin JAX-RPC wrapper around its original
proprietary API. It's not quite as compliant as you might like it to be.
The Glue proprietary API is incredibly easy to use, though, and GLUE
provides nearly as complete a serialization framework as WASP.

Systinet WASP and webMethods Glue supply free IDE plug-ins for JBuilder,
Eclipse, IntelliJ, and (WASP only) NetBeans. Note, though, that when asked
to generate client code, these IDE plug-ins generate proprietary client
APIs rather than JAX-RPC compliant client APIs. (You can write your own
JAX-RPC client code, though, and it works just fine.) WASP, and Glue may be
deployed in any servlet engine and may also be deployed standalone (they
both include Jetty).

Other portable independent platforms include IONA XMLBus, Cape Clear, and
Novell exteNd. Cape Clear and exteNd provide standalone GUI tools. Both are
pretty expensive. IONA has nice command line tools (easier to use than Axis
or Sun JAX-RPC). These systems can be deployed in WebLogic, WebSphere,
Tomcat, and one or two additional app servers.

IBM provides JAX-RPC tools in WSAD for WebSphere.
Oracle provides JAX-RPC tools in JDeveloper for OracleAS 10g.
BEA provides JAX-RPC tools in WebLogic Workshop for WebLogic.

These tools are certainly easier to use than Axis or Sun JAX-RPC. Oracle's
tools are a bit less easy to use than the others.

Regards,
Anne