users@jax-rpc.java.net

deserialization error for value type

From: Alex Duncan <alex.duncan_at_ADI-LIMITED.COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 17:06:53 +1000

I am using JAX-RPC 1.1 EA (in JWSDP 1.2) to return what I hope is a JAX-RPC
supported value type (or "application class"). It is a class that looks
like the following (cut to the bone to show what is going on):

package mywspackage;
class A {
   public int i = 0;
   public B b = new B();

   public A() {}
}

According to the JAX-RPC 1.1 specification (and 1.0 for that matter), value
type A can be constructed from JAX-RPC supported types, including other
value types. Thus, according to the spec:

package mywspackage;
class B {
   public java.lang.String s = "hello";

   public B() {}
}

would be allowed as a value type that can be returned, and hence should be
allowed as a member of A without A losing its status as a value type.

The service handler interface used as input to wscompile looks like the
following:

package mywspackage;
public interface MyWebService extends java.rmi.Remote
{
   public A getA() throws java.rmi.RemoteException;
}

and wscompile does not complain. Neither does wsdeploy. The
implementation class looks like:

package mywspackage;
import java.rmi.*;
public class MyWebServiceImpl implements MyWebService {
   private a = new A();

   public A getA() { return a; }
}

However, client code, using an instance of a dynamic proxy (myWebService)
constructed from a service using the URL for the WSDL and the line:

A a = myWebServiceImpl.getA();

will fail. I know that if class A does not contain an instance of B that
getA() will succeed. In addition, I have tried adding the get and set
methods for these fields without success.

The exception is a "deserialization error" of type
java.lang.NullPointerException occurring at:

at
com.sun.xml.rpc.encoding.SOAPDeserializationContext.deserializeMultiRefObjects(SOAPDeserializationContext.java:83)
      at com.sun.xml.rpc.client.StreamingSender.
_send(StreamingSender.java:173)
      at
com.sun.xml.rpc.client.dii.CallInvokerImpl.doInvoke(CallInvokerImpl.java:64)
      at com.sun.xml.rpc.client.dii.BasicCall.invoke(BasicCall.java:346)
      at
com.sun.xml.rpc.client.dii.CallInvocationHandler.doCall(CallInvocationHandler.java:102)
      at
com.sun.xml.rpc.client.dii.CallInvocationHandler.invoke(CallInvocationHandler.java:74)
      at $Proxy5.getA(Unknown Source)

where the "deserializeMultiRefObjects" is rather telling, to an extent, and
at least makes it look like what I am trying to do might be feasible.

A post I read related to serialising a vector implies that adding an
<additionalTypes> element to the config.xml might help because B is not
referenced in the MyWebService interface. I tried the following:

      <typeMappingRegistry>
        <additionalTypes>
          <class name="mywspackage.B"/>
        </additionalTypes>
      </typeMappingRegistry>

to no avail. I am not sure that I have used this element correctly, but it
sort of made sense.

Is there anything wrong with what I am trying to do? Does anyone think I
would have more luck from another toolkit (Axis, Glue etc)? Does JWSDP 1.1
work, given that I'll probably have to use it since the new version of
JAX-RPC is still in Early Access and can't be redistributed anyway?

The advanced example in the JWSDP 1.2 Tutorial appears to marshal a value
type that has another value type as a member. However, "doc/literal" looks
a bit harder and it looks as though I have to start with hand-crafted WSDL
or try to implement lots of wrapper classes (which was not recommended).
Do I have to use doc/literal???

This Email may contain confidential and/or privileged information and is intended
solely for the addressee(s) named. If you have received this information in error, or
are advised that you have been posted this Email by accident, please notify the
sender by return Email, do not redistribute it, delete the Email and keep no copies.