users@jax-rpc.java.net

Re: when to use JAX-RPC and JAXM - what are det differents between th ese actually?

From: Robert Lowe <rmlowe_at_RMLOWE.COM>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 02:14:04 +0800

I think this is a good question, which isn't well addressed by the
documentation.

My personal impression is that you should use JAX-RPC whenever you can.
Firstly, it's likely to be better supported; it will be a required part of
J2EE 1.4, whereas JAXM will not. Secondly, it's generally easier to work
with, since the low-level details of SOAP messages are abstracted away. I
would use JAXM only if I needed more control over the exact structure of the
SOAP message than JAX-RPC will allow.

This is what Sun's Java Web Services Tutorial has to say in defence of JAXM:

"The following list includes features that JAXM can provide and that RPC,
including JAX-RPC, does not generally provide: One-way (asynchronous)
messaging; Routing of a message to more than one party; Reliable messaging
with features such as guaranteed delivery."

I don't believe this is accurate; JAX-RPC *does* support one-way messaging,
and in principal I don't see why JAX-RPC implementations couldn't support
the other two as well.

The main use case that I'm aware of for JAXM, about which Sun has made quite
a bit of noise, is for exchanging ebXML documents. Officially, JAXM is
capable of supporting different "profiles", of which ebXML is just one.
However, I haven't heard much about other profiles.

This is my impression--I'd be interested to hear other points of view.