users@jax-rpc.java.net

Re: 4.2.1 Simple Types (java.util.Date)

From: ow <oneway_111_at_YAHOO.COM>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 17:09:45 -0700

--- Doug Kohlert <Doug.Kohlert_at_SUN.COM> wrote:
> Ow,
> Yes, Calendar is just more convenient when time is important. Of course
> either mapping would work as you pointed out. As you know, you can never
> keep all of the people happy all of the time.

I see your point.

For consistency sake, I think it would been better if java.util.Date was used
both for the "client" and the "server" since it is not known if a particular
client would ever need Calendar's functionality. And if it would, it could
convert Dates to Calendars.

My reluctance to deal with Calendar is because we already convert between
util.Date and sql.Date to get the data into db and back. Now we need to deal
with Calendar too ... thousands of records ... not good.

In any case, thanks