users@jax-rpc.java.net

Licencing,Interaction Modes,Data Types

From: Sudeep Chandran <novicedeveloper_at_REDIFFMAIL.COM>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 05:18:06 -0600

Hello,

I have a bunch of doubts ,Kindy help

Q1)Can I use JAX-RPC and JAXM for commercial purposes ? Any License issues ?

I understand that when two end points communicate they must agree upon two things

-Data Types (Type System)
-Interaction Modes/Styles/Patterns.

Data Types
----------

Q2) I have an operation foo() which accepts an Object and returns a Object
   Object foo(Object o).I dunno what is contained inside the object. It may be
   a bean or may be a Collection class or a user defined Object which doesnt adhere
   to any bean patterns .

   Am Attempting to generically *transform* a Java Application to a web service
   Is that Possible ?

   I tried xrpcc to generate WSDl files but unfortunately it doesnt support
   Object type and other complex types.

Q3) How do I expose a polymorphic/overloaded operation as a web service ?

Interaction Modes
-----------------

JAX-RPC defines three interaction modes in Chapter 3,R012 in 0.9 Spec

1) synchronous request response
2) one way RPC mode
3) Non Blocking RPC

JAXM Defines Five Modes of Interaction ( See JAXM spec , 1.2 Scope )

1)Asynchronous Inquiry
2)Asynchrnous update
3)Synchronous Inquiry
4)Synchronous Update
5) Fire and Forget

Q4) Are these derived from http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlp-scenarios/ ?

Q5) The Client would know about the Service ('Data Types ') from the WSDL file .
    How will the client know abt the *Interaction Mode* of the server ?
    Or Am I missing something here ?

Thanks and regards
Sudeep Chandran