users@jax-rpc.java.net

Re: JAX-RPC on Tomcat

From: Simon Horrell <simonh_at_develop.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 12:47:32 +0100

As was stated there was a classloading problem with 4.03 that was fixed with
4.04 b1.
<background>
As a general principle when installing a web application, it is wise to
limit the potential side-effects it will have on other deployed
applications. To enforce this guideline, one often attempts to install JAR
files needed by the webapp at the most local-scope possible, especially when
they are newer (beta) versions of JAR files being shared by other webapps.
That is, put them in the webapps WEB-INF/lib directory. If you do this with
some of the JAR files from the JAX Pack or the JWSDP then you will fall foul
of this problem with Tomcat 4.03. To the best of my recollection it is
because Tomcat looks for classes in locally installed JARS (in WEB-INF/lib)
before delegating and looking in Tomcat's common/lib directory. Tomcat 4.03
is happy for certain javax.* classes to be found in this way, but not for
others. Tomcat 4.04 b1 fixed that problem AFAIK.
<background>
Si.